Grow your plants without soil
It may sound strange but yes it is possible to grow your plants without the use of soil or liquid medium. The roots of the plant are left dangling in the air - a process referred to as AEROPONICS.
In an aeroponics system, plant cuttings or seeds are suspended mid-air in a growing chamber, as a mist of nutrient-laden water is continuously sprayed on the roots of plants. Aeroponics systems can be used anywhere, where environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity can be regulated. Sunlight is the primary light source, with some supplemental lighting.
An aeroponics system reduces water usage by 98 %, fertilizer by 60 % and pesticides by 100 %, according to NASA. The lack of soil provides maximum root aeration and keeps roots dry, reducing the risk for diseases. Seedlings can be healthier because they don't stretch or wilt while roots are forming. Harvesting is also easier, especially for root crops, and because plants grow faster, crops can be planted and harvested in the system throughout the year.
There are many benefits to aeroponics.
- Faster growth of 3 to 5 times faster than conventional growing in soil. Lettuce for instance, you can grow it from seed to harvest in 70 to 90 days. While aeroponics growing would take just 25 to 30 days. So for everyone crop with conventional gardening, you could have 3 crops with aeroponics in the same amount of time. That’s incredible!
- Huge water savings: Aeroponics uses 95% less water than conventional gardening.
- Plants are healthier, and tastier with enhanced flavanoids.
- Plants need oxygen to grow. That’s right!
- No need for medium (solid or liquid)
- No aeration system necessary
Aeroponics system can be used for growth of:
- Vine Plants
- Leafy Greens