Learn from Zuckerberg
Inspiring Things Mark Zuckerberg Said During His Visit to Lagos. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg was at the CoCreation Hub in Yaba, Lagos on Tuesday, August 30, 2016.
The 7th richest person in the world was in Lagos to hold a meeting with some key players in the Nigerian tech world to discuss how Facebook can be improved in Nigeria, and how it can support tech development in Africa. Below are eight inspiring things we learnt during questions and answers session with the billionaire:
1. “Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough.” No, he is not encouraging those with a penchant for breaking stuff in the anger to carry on doing so as if it is normal behaviour. He is basically saying, challenge the norm; don’t acknowledge limitations or in Naija lingo, never stay in your lane. Forge new tracks for your own lane.
2. “The question I ask myself almost every day is, ‘Am I doing the most important thing I could be doing?’” Valid question. Are you dear reader, doing the most important thing you could be doing with your life, your abilities, your passions for yourself and society? Wait. Don’t answer just yet- think on these things.
3. “People don’t care about what you say; they care about what you build or do.” Actions speak louder than words. You cannot keep mouthing off with no evidence to show for it. Take time to build; invest in the foundation of your building, your systems, your relationships. A house built upon the sand will crumble.
4. “The biggest risk is not taking any risk.” There is nothing else to add to this.
5. “We don’t build services to make money; we make money to build better services.” Perspective. Perspective. Perspective. Think, why do you do what you do? Why are you in business? To make profit, to solve problems, make a difference, what? Let your motive be right.
6. “I think a simple rule of business is, if you do the things that are easier first, then you can actually make a lot of progress.”